There’s a LOT of drama going on over here in Skykomish, Washington. In the 4 days I’ve been here (sigh), I’ve seen at least three groups of hikers that have tried to man out the storm in their dollar store ponchos and trail runners come back after 40 plus miles of trying, with that panicked and defeated look on their faces. Their acknowledged respect for the conditions in front of them changed into downright “spooked out by” levels of emotion and just about all of them are going home. There’s all kinds of charged buzz lines floating about like “Lucky to be alive” and “Winter is HERE (to stay)” and “It’s over.”. And yes, it’s a big nasty wet cold windy mean spirited storm. I’m shivering down here at 1000 feet with coffee and warm biscuits in my belly. But the conditions are supposed to change. The snow/freezing levels are supposed to rise again before the weekend and there are rumors that the actual SUN might peek in to say hello. My hope lies in my ability to wait. I simply can’t pack up and go home until I’ve hit the impassable wall myself, and I’m trusting that my sterling determination will yield to survival instinct if the wall presents itself. Meanwhile, I’ve made a cozy little nest for myself in Skykomish. There’s agreeable enough food, free miniature train rides, and a super pleasant local who has taken it upon himself to keep us entertained and informed. Yes I’m getting cabin fever, but I suffer not in any real way, and I only find myself giving in to the fear and defeat on occasion.
This is likely my last blog post until I am hopefully in Canada! There is no cell service in the last 200 miles, just to add a little “you’re on your own” thrill to the endeavor. Send your weather voodoo still please! I’m hearing conditions change fast… Change them into summer!